24mm and 50mm, or just 35mm?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 2,019
Re: 24mm and 50mm, or just 35mm?

pipnat51 wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a 50mm f1.4 and thinking of replacing with a 35mm, either Sigma or Nikon, or Tamron, or keeping it and getting a 24mm instead of the 35. Again Sigma or Nikon. I know you will ask what my needs are and I will say that I don’t do one type of photography but all sorts. So wondering what your thoughts are on what covers most areas. Summing up, 50 and 24, or just a 35? Thanks in advance if you reply.

Without reading ahead: I totally fell in love with my 35mm Sigma Art. And I don't just mean the sharpness and PQ, but also the focal length compared to 50mm and my 20mm.

I can't imaging being without my 50mm. I have proven to myself, even during the love affair with the 35mm, that switching to the 50mm gives me a unique view that is just right for the shot, for the perspective of the city skyline from the place I'm standing. Moving closer with the 35mm wasn't an option (usually isn't). If had gotten rid if the nifty fifty, I would be without the standard lens.

And I love the 20mm, but it is of course TOO wide for a lot of things. However, the 35mm just isn't wide enough for those expansive landscapes. Even a 24mm would give you plenty of extra coverage over the 35mm.

So, my answer is: all three. If you don't like the idea of having both a 35mm and a 24mm, then make the ultra wide 20mm instead. The Sigma Art 20mm is fantastic.

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow