Ideal conditions portra 400

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,804
Re: Ideal conditions portra 400

brandon77 wrote:

Gregm61 wrote:

“Ideal” for any film would be sunshine with little to no shadows...

absent that, any lighting so long as you expose for the deepest shadow detail you want revealed is the thing to do, and some films have a higher highlights shoulder than others.

Fortunately Portra 400 is one of the better ones. Waiting for “ideal” is just asking to be disappointed most of the time.

True. I guess more so, conditions where it shines more than not. I feel like in my example shots of shade, I didn’t like the results as much

The way one gets the most out of 35mm color negative film is, having it scanned to DNG where the folks scanning know how to scan and get as much bunched to the right on the histogram where you can then process it the way you want.

Automated machine-printing in the "golden days" of film-only shooting was, more often than not, low-level quality. If you ever found a lab with competent employees you used that lab religiously until the staff inevitably turned over. I saw way too many landscape/travel prints with blown skies/clouds and highlights with no details because, to get the best quality prints that made the most of all the detail in the negative, one had to pay for custom printing, which was never cheap.

Virtually the same situation exists today with scanning. JPEG scans at the lab today are the machine prints of the 70's, 80's and 90's.

-- hide signature --

"There's shadows in life, baby.." Jack Horner- Boogie Nights

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M (Typ 262) Leica CL Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow