Panasonic 100-300 II with Olympus teleconverter experiment

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hipogrito Junior Member • Posts: 32
Panasonic 100-300 II with Olympus teleconverter experiment

Hi,

Disclosure 1: I'm not an expert by any means.

Disclosure 2: This is the first time I use a teleconverter.

I have a Panasonic GX85 with a Panasonic 100-300 II lens.

I would love to have a little more reach without paying the 1.5K of the 100-400 Leica lens. In another thread somebody suggested to try some teleconverters. So I went to eBay and for a whopping $25 I bought an Olympus B-300 x1.7 teleconverter. I had to spend a few bucks also in a ring to be able to put it into the 100-300. At that price, if it does not work, well it does not work, not a biggie. The telconverter does not looked scratched or damaged. I cleaned it up and it looks just fine.

So I went to take some pictures WITHOUT a tripod.

First thing I have noticed, the x1.7 reach on top of the 100-300 is AWESOME! That is a reach that I would love to have.

Second thing I have noticed, I had to have put the tripod in the car. At full zoom it's hard to be steady.

Third thing I have noticed is that you really need LOTS of light. As soon as it was getting semi-dark, forget it.

I'm attaching here 2 pictures as they came out, without any post-processing. In order to avoid shaking, I was able to hold the camera into a wood rail that could do the function of a tripod.

No teleconverter used.

With B-300 1.7x teleconverter

The results?

Not great by any means. There is this ginormous color aberration and the image is not sharp at all. It's BIG, yeah, that's great, but quality is very disappointing. If I crop the picture without the teleconverter, it's still a million times better.

So,  what can I improve with this teleconverter? Is there any settings I could adjust somewhere or something to look at to so that the pictures could be better with this setting?

Or, hey, you get what you pay for, there's no miracles here, so forget it.

Last, is it JUST this teleconverter? Is it damaged? Or any B300 will give me the same results? or ANY teleconverter no matter which one I put on, the results are going to be this bad and there's no way around it and I will eventually have to pay the $1500 for the Leica lens that will not give me that much more reach in any case?

If there is a more suitable teleconverter that I can get cheap on eBay I could give it a try...

I am looking forward for your advice and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Fran

ps.- In any case, it was fun going out because when I did NOT have the teleconverter I was lucky to see this:

Leica X1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow