Is Sony A7r IV any good for sports photog? Guy at work wants to sell his.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max5150 Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Is Sony A7r IV any good for sports photog? Guy at work wants to sell his.

I currently shoot a lot of sports - indoor ice hockey (low light), soccer, and lacrosse with an A7iii and a A6600. I have a 70-200 f/2.8 GM and a 200-600 G. The A7iii is pretty good in the low light, but the A6600 tracks a bit better. I use the eye autofocus sometimes for portraits. Anyway, a guy at my church is selling a lightly used A7r iv since he is moving to Canon R5, and will give me a pretty good deal ($2k usd maybe a bit less, and it's pretty low # shutter clicks).

Can anyone with some experience shooting sports tell me if this camera can focus/track at least as well as my A7iii. I'd like to have the extra resolution to crop better and just sell my A7iii and the A6600, but at the same time, I'm also concerned about the huge memory usage. Also, I know it's not an A9, so I'm only gonna get 10 frames per second with the e-shutter. I can live with that if it focusses and tracks well.

I'd really welcome any comments. Thanks!!

Canon EOS R5 Sony a7R Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow