More thoughts on the 50mm f/2

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,468
More thoughts on the 50mm f/2

I am happily distracting myself from waiting for the new 27mm by continuing to get to know my new-to-me 50mm f/2.

One of the complaints frequently made against the " 'Crons" is that their rendering is clinical.  My original impression of the 35mm f/2 was that it was dry and Classical, as opposed to the 35mm f/1.4 which I think of as lush and Romantic.  The f/2 is a photojournalist, the f/1.4 is an artist.  While I really enjoy the relationship between the 35 f/2 and my X-Pro1, which is where it has settled, I don't seek the lens out to put it on my other cameras.

I am finding the 50mm f/2 much more interesting and involving to use.  Maybe it helps that I don't have another lens I already love at the same focal length to compare it to, but while it has the distinct " 'Cron" personality, it seems friendlier and more approachable.

Maybe this has to do with the longer focal length, that brings you closer to the subject and increases a sense of intimacy?  It's still a lens that makes you sit up straighter and it definitely seems to encourage thoughtful, even formal compositions and careful attention to exposure, which is no bad thing.   But it has a more playful side as well.  I've recently started to photograph some of my studio toys with it to explore its low light performance, and it does OK when asked to be silly.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow