What do Tamron and Samyang know?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
FlyinDoc Regular Member • Posts: 342
Re: What do Tamron and Samyang know?

cxsparc wrote:

FlyinDoc wrote:

JohnNEX wrote:

And-roid wrote:

All that is needed is that high performance aps body that Sony refuse to release!!

If by "high performance" you mean a A7R4 or A9 with a APS-C sensor and a a6600 form factor, then the reason is simple - there would be no demand for that camera at $4k+. There is no fantasy world where this hypothetical camera is under $4k, and its probably $5k, if it possible at all given the tech required to be crammed into the smaller body.

If by "high performance" you mean an a6600 with a few additional features, then we are back to the arguments about which features make it "high performance": Two card slots? Extra control wheel? 36MP? That discussion inevitably ends up back at the first case - a camera which is identical to an APS-C version of an A7R4 or A9, which would cost at least $4k.

No, what we need is a new sensor and processor, with much faster read speeds, and menu, handling and ergonomic improvements brought to the latest FF cameras. This does not require a $4000 camera.

Sony are well behind Fuji in APS-C right now and they need to seriously overhaul their lineup especially at the upper end.

We NEED a new sensor, processor, menu? Two card slots, extra wheeel, more mpx?

Seriously?

I claim it is simple C19 boredom. The APSC cameras are perfectly capable. Even the comparatively lousy 4K 30f of the Sonys has me impressed when watching or even making a digital snapshot.

Fuji is ahead regarding video, that's about it. Whether you NEED video in your camera to such an extent is another topic.

What I see is a race to ever more outdo each other with more features added, but also weight and price. My A6000 &1650 are such a light-weight thing to use and inexpensive at that. My A6600 & 1655 weighs double with hardly visible differences on a 27" screen.

It's a bit like with cars. 10 year old cars already include just about everything from AC, servo steering, ABS, EDS, lots of airbags and low fuel consumption engines.

So what do you add? internet access, distance control - or - 4k60p, 50 Mpx sensors, tittat stuff. And explode price and weight through the ceiling.

I find it much more limiting regarding photography to have travel restrictions inplace with no perspective to end in summer.

Who asked for two card slots? If Canon can put 32 mpx in their APS-C offering at the same price, Sony can too, without going straight to $4000. The extra dial is simply more useful for a lot of photography situations.

Improvements in sensor tech and processor speeds are a natural part of modern cameras, and we expect Sony to keep up with their competitors in this regard. If you are still rocking ancient tech, while everyone else has moved on, well, that's the way you lose customers. Like Pentax.

Again, the competition is offering 4K60p and higher mpx at the same price as Sony's cameras and if they want to retain their APS-C customers, they should follow suit. If you don't need these improvements, you can always stick with your old cameras. No one will force you to upgrade.

FlyinDoc's gear list:FlyinDoc's gear list
Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony a6300 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow