First _real_ outing with the M6II

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
GreatOceanSoftware
OP GreatOceanSoftware Regular Member • Posts: 321
Re: First _real_ outing with the M6II

CuriousSerge wrote:

Looks like you're having a great time! Lovely pictures. My favorite is the sunset scene shot at 11mm (second to last in your series). IMHO, if you are post-processing, you could probably lift shadows a little bit more on landscape images, while still clipping blacks just a bit (I don't know if your software allows it). Also, if you are shooting RAW and post-processing, then I don't think the High Tone Priority has any effect on the final image. It is used only for JPEG processing in-camera. It might affect the preview on the camera's LCD though. You may want to try setting the Picture Style to Neutral to have a flatter tone curve just to judge the exposure better when taking a shot. It won't look as nice on the LCD, but may give you a better RAW file for post-processing.

Thanks, Serge! I shoot RAW+JPEG and 90% of the time I wind up processing the JPEGs just slightly. I work to get it as close as possible in-camera with hopefully only minor tweaks to the JPEGs. I develop a few RAWs here and there, but I always feel if I have to resort to saving a RAW, then I didn't get it right in the field (just my OCD-ness ). But I archive everything, so I can always go back if I need to.

The High Tone Priority did seem to smooth things out a bit in the JPEGs. I think Canon did a nice job programming it. But I feel like it shouldn't be required for everyday shooting. But I'll keep tinkering with it to see if I can figure out how to engage it only when I need it.

Thanks again to you and R2 for pointing out these things. It made a difference, for sure!

-- hide signature --

Randy

GreatOceanSoftware's gear list:GreatOceanSoftware's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm 15-45mm F3.5-5.6 OIS PZ +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow