MacBook Pro and Spyder X

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
dmiller62 Contributing Member • Posts: 633
Re: MacBook Pro and Spyder X

Ellis Vener wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Anyones ever calibrate MacBook Pro using i1Display Pro or i1Display Pro Plus ?

Yes

Does it looks warmer or yellowish too ?

No

My MacBook Pro 2016 (Retina, P3 display), uncalibrated, has a color temperature of 7023K (how do I know this? I just switched it to an uncalibrated state and measured it), which is 523K above the calibration target. It certainly is far from calibrated to a 6500K whitepoint out of the box.

Calibrating this display, by scientific definition, changes the color. That change is, by scientific definition, warmer and yellower, relative to the uncalibrated display.

These changes are what they are; and they are relative to one another.

If you were starting off with a display whose native color temperature was 6000K, and that's what you were used to seeing as the "normal" color of display, and they you calibrated it to 6500K, then you would say the calibrated display was becoming colder/bluer.

If you calibrate a 6500K. native display to 6500K, there will be a barely imperceptible, if any, shift in the calibrated whitepoint. (That would be true of certain desktop displays that are factory calibrated close to 6500K, but not to a MacBook Pro 2016 or 2017, for instance). Depending on how well calibrated the starting point of that type of display is, you might see "no" change in the look of the display, before and after calibration.

As you calibrate displays to lower color temperatures (Kelvin is "color temperature"), by definition, the look of the display becomes progressively warmer. If you were to calibrate to higher color temperatures, the look would become progressively colder. A display calibrated to 5500K looks even warmer than 6500K. Calibrate to K in the 3000's and it's strongly yellow.

Because: science.

If a display doesn't become warmer after calibration, and there's no change in the color temperature of the calibrated whitepoint, then it was already at or very near 6500K, if that was the calibration target used.

A 7000K+ display calibrated down to 6500K is by definition going to be warmer relative to where it started.

-- hide signature --

David Miller
Senior Software Developer, Consumer Graphics Software
Datacolor

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow