Video Workflow - any tips?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Iuvenis Senior Member • Posts: 1,398
Video Workflow - any tips?

I've never shot much video before, but in recent months I've been experimenting with it. I'm lucky enough to have access to a machine with Final Cut on it. However, I'm still quite confused about how to create a sensible workflow for videos.

For photos, I have a well-defined workflow: Ingest, Cull, Process, Export  to Album. I keep the original RAW images with any edits in sidecar files in an archive with a traditional storage structure so that I don't need special software to find them.
With videos, things don't work the same way.

Firstly, culling isn't so easy with video clips as with stills, as it's normally hard to say if a clip has no usable portions. That means all I can cull are the videos of my feet, etc. I end up with lots of clips that are mostly bad, but I can't really tell if there's anything worth keeping in them.

Next, the .MOV files are enormous, which means I'm not sure if it's worth keeping them in an archive at all. Should I just import the clips into Final Cut straight away, and re-export losslessly compressed versions for storage? Or should I just back up the Final Cut library and forget about keeping the original clips in an archive? In either case, am I potentially losing any quality I might want later?

Also, video footage isn't so self-contained. How do I deal with footage that I might want to make part of a different clip later? For example, if I have a video of a family birthday, I might want to use portions of that later as part of a video about that family member. I could just cut a portion of the final video and add it to a new project, with other elements, but by working from a final clip, will I be losing flexibility, for example matching colours with other footage?

Any tips on this sort of stuff would be really useful to me.

Iuvenis's gear list:Iuvenis's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow