My Ridiculously Long R6 Review

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
G Dickson
G Dickson Senior Member • Posts: 1,453
My Ridiculously Long R6 Review

This is a long and detailed review -  something like 6000 words -  and is a good few weeks of gathering thoughts and notes, so if you don’t like long reads then this certainly is not be for you, and please don't bother with some smart comment like "TL;DR". Just don't read it - I know it's long because I wrote it...

If you have no interest in video, then please skip that section as it is equally lengthy and detailed and will probably drive you mad. Hopefully it gives someone some value. I enjoyed doing this review as I got so much value from other very detailed reviews that helped me make my choice.

Background (hopefully to help you gauge the relevance of this review to your own interests and needs):

I am an owner of a Safari camp in Zambia and have been in that role/industry for about 10 years and throughout that time my interest in photography has gone from just that – an interest – to an absolute passion. I shoot for fun but also for marketing purposes and social media for our lodge and recently also undertook my first proper commissioned job which was weirdly a real estate shoot, producing both photos and video. I have had a bit of work published in travel magazines here and overseas. Content creation (not a term I love) is very important in this industry, so being able to do it all in-house is very beneficial to us – be it proper marketing lodge shots, wildlife, social media posts (all including video as well as stills) etc. My DSLR journey has been the original 7D (which we still have as my wife uses it), then the 1DmkIV (I wanted better high ISO, frame rates and AF after getting a bit obsessed with African Skimmers dragging their bills at dawn). That camera I bought used and then went on to absolutely use the bejesus out of it for years. Eventually it started throwing up error codes and family were coming out (you can buy an overpriced Rebel in Lusaka but that is about it) so I bought a grey import 6Dii a couple of years after it was released. It was a stopgap camera – I wanted FF but at a reasonable price and the original R just felt a bit underwhelming.

Meanwhile a growing interest and need for video was satisfied by my Panasonic G9 as I also run a small micro four thirds system (travel and light weight needs). But low light was a real issue and AF (C-AF and servo video) was basically a no-go area and my m4/3 glass leans towards the cheaper end. I know others have done it, but for say BIFs the G9 just frustrated me although in every other way it is superb. I shoot (obviously) a lot of wildlife, but landscapes are a real passion. Interior and exterior lodge shots are a big requirement. Even photoshoots for local aspiring Instagrammers at times (good for local marketing, as covid has killed the international aspect of our business right now), staff portraits and a lot of astro-landscapes too. In short, I need a variety of camera abilities – fast frame rates, really good AF, low light and now video are at the top. While I would like more resolution for landscapes the reality is that I hardly ever print larger than an annual 8x10 photo book and if I do have to crop heavily then the things is that the output will be on only social media or other web use. Landscapes I try not to crop heavily. The cost/resolution argument for me always leans towards cost. I might sell the 6DII and pick up a used 5DSR for landscapes sometime down the road, but I am in no hurry. Oh, and I don't class myself as a pixel peeper.

So the R6 was pretty much the camera I wanted as soon as it was released. The 6Dii has given me some great images, but in terms of AF and drive speed I was at times really feeling that I had outgrown the camera (especially having used the 1DmkIV for so long).
I don’t rush into being an early adopter – I always want to see real world feedback from users. Not “influencers” but real life use a few months down the line and lots of forum feedback and Youtube videos from working pros. The big issue with the R6 on the internet was of course the overheating, but for my style of video use it was clear that this was not going to be an issue for me. The 20mp “issue” I was sure would be fine having shot a 7d, 1dmkIV and m4/3 for years. I have been around enough people staying with us and using 1dX/D whatever bodies to know that resolution is not everything. Hopefully, my assumptions would be correct. Let’s see.

Oh, and I don't own any RF glass. My glass is in my gear list.

So, after this ridiculously long introduction and scene setting, let’s get to the camera.

Body, design and operation:

Build quality is top notch. High quality, robust plastics that feel like the 6Dii but even better – a grippy more fine-grained texture and no creaks or flexing at all, which is obviously a good thing. Although having had a 7d and a 1d, I really don’t miss the mag alloy body. Great layout of buttons and dials, typical Canon. Having a three-dial camera (like the G9) is a big deal. Great to see the joystick back which was really missing on the 6Dii. Like the 6d and the G9 it fits my hand perfectly. Totally ergonomic – for reference I have fairly large hands and don’t really feel a need for a grip as I don’t do that much portrait orientation stuff.

The menus again are typical Canon and easy and logical. Panasonic are not bad, but still Canon is so much easier for me. Olympus (I still have an em10 mkii) is a nightmare. I really like the fixed eyecup as I have lost so many over the years getting cameras into and out of tight-fitting bags. Nothing more to say here, it feels like a typical high-end Canon, slightly smaller than a DSLR but not too small like an em10.

The EF-RF adapter is great. Tolerances are tight and it doesn’t feel like an extra mount is in the way wobbling and rotating slightly – way better than my viltrox speedbooster with EF glass on my Pansonic G9. I only have the standard adapter but if Breakthrough ever actually release their one with drop in filters then I would like to get one for video – particularly for my Sigma 20mm with the massive front element. Small note: the fact that the bottom plate has two small locating holes to accept a cage (or other things) and not rotate around the tripod mount is a nice touch – weirdly forward looking even. Control dials are tactile and feel robust, buttons feel fine.

The fully articulating screen Vs tilting one I am ambivalent about, although I will say that for zoom calls when using the camera as a web cam it is pretty handy. Thanks covid for making me feel like a vlogger… 😊. But seriously, it has it’s uses. This is my third body with the flip out screen and I do have to say that at times it feels there is a real risk of my snapping one off or damaging it though.

What I don’t like about the build/operation boils down to little details really, so I will try and list them out:

-Micro HDMI. Especially when the G9 packs a full size one into a body about the same size.

- Remote release cable goes down to the small jack type from the lower end bodies. This I really don’t get. Not a huge deal, but still, it doesn’t tally with previous FF bodies and means I need a new remote and a cable for a motorized slider that I use a lot for timelapse. If this and a full size HDMI port would have meant a slightly bigger body then I would not have been complaining.

- C1, 2 & 3 cannot be programmed for any video functions. This is just not helpful. Especially when the R5 can do it. On my G9 it is very useful to have different frame rates and resolutions programmed to custom functions. This is probably my biggest gripe with the camera – which might tell you something…

- Hitting the record button in any photo mode takes you into an auto video setting which is not for me at all. Why on earth could it not go straight to manual (or a choice)? Again, the R5 does not have this issue.

- Buttons cannot be re-mapped to every function and not all buttons can be mapped equally. Example: the rate button cannot be re-mapped to anything really other than ‘delete’ (and this from the playback menu and not the custom button menu. Weird). And yet the delete button cannot be re-mapped to anything. Panasonic here really take the lead – any button can be mapped to anything. Long pressing a button on the G9 throws up a massive menu that you can then pick any item to map to that button. Perfect and easy.

- Some functions involve menu diving when they should be so much easier to access. Specifically, E-shutter should be a drive option so that from the quick menu it can be set. Or indeed from a button. Likewise, C-Log in video should be a picture profile and again accessed from the quick menu or whatever. And switching between animal and human priority again should not need menu dives as these are functions (particulary e-shutter and animal/human priority) that often need to be changed on the fly and weirdly cannot be mapped to buttons.

- Canon’s timelapse feature continues to be a bit odd. I should do a separate review on this as it is probably a bit niche to bang on as much as I could about this. Suffice to say it could be massively improved.

- The built in intervalometer goes to a maximum of 99 frames or “unlimited”. 99 is at times way too few frames and unlimited can be way too many at times if you are leaving the camera unattended for a while.

- Although I am more than used to it by now, I do wish Canon would put the power switch around the shutter button like Nikon (and my G9). Especially being mirrorless where I want to keep the camera powered off more than I would with a DSLR. Being able to carry the camera one handed, power it on and bring it up as the other hand comes up to the lens makes for quick shooting. Small detail but there you go.

- When you punch in with the magnification tool and autofocus then the camera immediately goes back to an un-zoomed image if you are in servo focus. If you are in one-shot, it is not a problem and it will focus when punched it. This just feels like an oversight. Again, other cameras allow this to happen.

- The shutter closing on powering off is a nice touch, but I do wish it would be faster – that is the process of switching off until the shutter closes could be a lot quicker. Unlike the buffer this is an area where I feel that I am at times outrunning the camera if I am quickly swapping lenses. Or if it could be somehow linked to the lens release button so that the instant the camera senses a lens change it immediately slams down the shutter. But in terms of lack of sensor dust this is overall a win.

- A lot of people have commented on lens IS running all the time and yes, I too have noticed this (alongside the fact that sensor IS cannot be switched off except by using the lens button). But I set the camera to go into standby after 30secs so the continually running IS doesn’t really bother me. It does seem a bit like an omission that Canon set the camera up so that you cannot switch of IBIS and still use lens IS. It doesn’t affect me really but I can imagine that it does some people.

Overall, I feel that the build and body is top notch. The operation I feel is for Canon a next level – the degree of customisation is for them amazing compared to previous DSLRs. But certain weird operational decisions feel either not properly thought out or (and I hesitate to say it) have been influenced by the cripple hammer. I guess it is typical Canon in some ways. Not a deal breaker at all for me, but when you get used to how say Panasonic do it you realise just how much further Canon could have gone, and when certain operational aspects are on the bigger brother (R5) but absent here it is annoying – especially as the big-ticket things like AF and IS are identical. Customising ‘my menu’ can help. I have mine set to come up immediately I press the menu button and can then quickly access the first tab which I have set to switch animal/human eye AF, E-Shutter and C-Log. This goes a long way to helping with these idiosyncrasies.

Battery life is not great. It seems a bit less than my G9 though. I can live with it fine, but for a really photo oriented camping trip to another National Park here means I am going to need a lot more batteries (I have 3).

I am really looking forward to getting to grips more with the Fv mode as it seems really interesting for certain types of shooting that I do – i.e. set a shutter speed for birds, set an Av to compensate for a TC or get a lens into a sweet spot and ride auto ISO while still using exposure compensation. Nice. A function I wish the G9 had.

Operationally it is a massive step in the right direction and a 7 out of 10 score.

Autofocus:

It is incredible. I was tracking dragonflies speeding around over the river probably 50m away. Human and animal face and eye tracking is phenomenal. The system breathes new life into lenses such as my Sigma 20mm f1.4 or Canon 85mm f1.8, which previously were much loved but were always a hit or a miss when it came to focus. I set the camera up to use back button focus on two buttons – one regular spot (or whatever else I have chosen) and one for eye Af. This is truly amazing as I can focus on an animal on spot and then go straight to eye Af and track if circumstances allow. When I showed my wife the animal eye AF with our house cats, she was genuinely gobsmacked. As was I. The animal recognition is impressive. It seems to recognize lizards and African antelopes. I can even confirm that it body tracks elephants but struggles with the eye a bit – fair enough as it is so tiny! Clearly big cats won’t be an issue going by domestic cat performance. Sadly, being at the tail end of the rains season here the wildlife is thin on the ground now – well, the grass is 10’ tall right now! Even in the first week of use the AF allowed me to get shots that previously I could not have got or certainly not as easily. What also really amazed me was using my Sigma 20mm f1.4 for astrolandscapes – the AF was easily nailing infinity by autofocusing on stars. If you have ever fumbled around in the dark trying to get manual focus on the LCD and finding your reading glasses, then you will realise that this is a fantastic ability and is huge. The AF ability of the camera alone for me justified the upgrade. I should also note that it also breathed new life into my Canon 1.4x VII TC that I always hesitated to use as it degraded the AF so much. Not any more. The AF is genuinely game changing. No cons. Of course, it is not perfect, but it is so much better than DSLRs that I genuinely have no urge to list ‘cons’ or complain in any way. Overall fantastic and a 9 out of 10.

Image Quality:

I am very happy. The colours are great (note: I only shoot raw)and I do use the color fidelity R6 profile in lightroom which I feel is a good purchase). Even straight as raw files they don’t need that much tweaking, and certainly less so than any camera I have owned before. But more importantly the camera produces files that have a certain quality that the 6D doesn’t. By that I mean that there is a certain look and malleability. I know the sensor is from the 1DxIII (apart from the AA filter) and it shows. Yes it is only 20MP but, to sound like a total cliché, these are quality pixels. Shadows can be pulled up way more than the 6d. Dynamic range is great. There is a definite major step up with this sensor and the low light ability is frankly amazing. When it comes to astro landscapes, and while I haven’t done any real shooting (in the sense of getting images I am really happy with in terms of composition and galactic core position), I have done a few hours of testing. What I found was quite amazing. 12,800 is totally usable at times – it never used to be. It is not the case that I don’t have to think about ISO, but it comes pretty close for most uses. Sure, light is light and a Kingfisher in dark shadow is still going to be just that and is not going to yield a good image, but I can now understand why the 600/800mm F11 lenses can exist in this ecosystem. As someone that often is dealing with wildlife and a slower lens (100-400ii) the increased high ISO ability is a real step up. This cannot be overstated. It is a low light beast. I recall trying a D500 and being impressed, but this is way beyond that. The 20MP resolution hasn’t been an issue for me. Even quite hard crops are still fine for the use I will then put them too. Yes, sure at times I would like more resolution. But not enough times to change my mind or wish for an even more empty pocket. Like AF, I genuinely have no urge to list ‘cons’ or complain in any way. A 9 out of 10 Score.

Image Stablisation:

Having had the G9/Em10 MKII for a while I am used to good IS and the R6 hasn’t disappointed. That Canon got to this level in the first generation of bodies with IS is really amazing. For video I will go into detail in my ‘video’ section. For stills it helps so much. Again, a lens like say my 85mm f1.8 has got a new lease of life with IS as so often I had blurred subjects not so much from subject movement, but from camera movement when trying to keep the SS down to keep ISO down. The IS and high ISO ability in the R6 go hand in hand to allow shots that were not possible before (or would take many attempts to get one workable one). Wandering around grabbing blue hour shots with lantern light around the lodge with my Sigma 20mm F1.4 (no IS on that lens) is going to be such a pleasure! Anything that makes life faster and easier without a tripod is a huge plus and this one is a huge plus.
One slight operational issue that I came across:
I have a Samyang 14mm f2.8 and when I put it on the camera, I couldn’t figure out what was going on. Everything was jittery and it seemed like there was zero IS at all. I kept swapping between that and my Sigma 20mm f1.4 and the Sigma was silky smooth and the Samyang was horrendous – especially bearing in mind it is a 14mm. Then I remembered and went into the menus to set the focal length in the IS menu. Things became as they should be, and everything smoothed out. I mention this because my other mirrorless camera (Pansonic) realises and reminds you when you put on a fully manual lens and asks you what focal length you want to use for the IS.
Another interesting thing is that when testing out the camera for astro-landscapes I deliberately didn’t turn IS off. No issues at all with it being tripod mounted and up to 25/30 sec exposures. Same like the Panasonic.
Well done Canon with the IS and a 9 out of 10 score for me.

Frame rates and Buffer:

Here (along with AF and IQ and IS) is where Canon clearly locked the cripple hammer in a steel cabinet in the basement for a while. The electronic 20fps is just nuts. In fact, it is so nuts that I have hardly tested it as the culling process is so long, so I have no comments about banding, rolling shutter distortion or lack of bit depth (but I never had issues with these with the G9). I will get to really test it out when we get to bee-eater nesting season as that is the perfect use case – trying to nail them coming rocketing out their burrows. The mechanical shutter is amazing. 12fps is wonderful. The mechanical shutter is also gloriously soft. Not quite as satisfying as the machine gun sound of the 1DMKIV but way more practical and less attention drawing. Certain lenses are not able to allow the highest green + FPS. My older 85mm f1.8 and 24-105 cannot allow that frame rate. Neither can my Sigma 20mm F1.4. Not a big deal for me as these crazy frame rates I need only with my 100-400ii. Weirdly all my batteries (LPE6NH, LPE6N and an aftermarket LPE6N) all allow green (12fps rates). I was somehow under the impression from the user manual that the higher rate was only available with LPE6NH batteries at 50% and above charge.
The buffer is incredible. To have a camera where I literally never outrun the buffer is fantastic. I just don’t even have to think about it. Even with the good old 1DmkIV I would hit the buffer sometimes with BIF. I am going to have to invest in some more fast cards! The buffer and frame rate also confirms my decision to go with the lower body as otherwise culling really would be an issue for me and I understand that the R5 buffer is not quite as deep. A 10 out of 10 score for me here.

Video:

An intrinsic part of video is the editing process, so it makes sense to detail what I edit on particularly as the codec is such an issue with this camera for most computers. I use a Dell XPS 15 laptop – i7 9750 processor at 2.6Ghz with 16 GB of RAM. So not a powerhouse desktop but still a powerful laptop. Oh, and I shoot PAL rates, so please bear that in mind.
Let’s get the negatives out the way, and going into this camera I knew about most of these.

- The H.265 codec in 10 bit 4.2.2. (C-Log only) in 4K 25p or 50p or even 1080 resolution is not possible to preview, let alone edit on my computer. It lags, stutters and simply won’t work. Transcoding to an editable codec (such as prores) takes time. A longish time! I found it took about three times as long as the actual clip duration to transcode into Prores LT. Proxies I didn’t try as yet - if I am going to transcode then for me, I will just transcode to an editable format as generally my clips are short.

- It does overheat. A test I did to force overheating threw up the following: 27 Degrees Celsius. Inside a shaded room with good airflow and a breeze blowing through. Shooting 4K 50p the camera tells me I can record for 20mins. At 19 mins the overheating warning came up. At 26mins it shut down. After a minute switched off I could get another minute and another couple of minutes switched off I was up to 5 mins. As a side note, the size of this 26min clip was 40GB. The overheating and the file size is why I would always shoot in 1080 (or maybe 25p 4K at a push) for longer form video (that I hardly ever do).

- The fact that the histogram disappears when recording is annoying and surely could have been included as exposures change when shooting! Weird. This one I didn’t know when buying the camera…

- Focus peaking, when you punch into the image with the magnify tool, vanishes, quite annoying when trying to check critical focus on the fly. Again, this is something (like the histogram) the G9 does.

- The lack of custom mode assignments previously mentioned. This is probably the biggest issue for me, let me explain. The lack of being able to set a shutter angle with the G9 is fine as I set up custom modes such as C1 = 25p and 50fps, C2 = 50p and 100fps, this means that I don’t have to think about things too much when switching to another frame rate. But with the R6 if I change frame rates via the quick menu, I have to then remember to change my shutter. I really wish that Canon would fix this in firmware. I knew it when buying the camera but that doesn’t stop it being annoying.

- No dual SD recording.

- While it is nice to have high frame rate options, I would also have really liked to see a variable frame rate. To be able to shoot video at 1 or 2 frames per second is handy for quick timelapse clips. Yes, it might be a very video-centric feature, but once again, the G9 does it and it is not really a video-centric body – in fact it was given 10 bit recording, VLOG and variable frame rates in a firmware update. Hint, hint Canon.

The overheating has been done to death on the internet. For my shooting style it is simply not an issue. I will never be shooting 4K 50p for prolonged periods. In real world use I am yet to run into overheating as a limitation. As regards the editing process, the reality is that the process of transcoding, applying Luts and all that is painful and time consuming. I have been there with the G9 with 10 bit 4.2.2. files and to be honest I just ended up going to 8 bit files that were manageable. It is the same here. I am not an expert colourist (far from it) and shooting C-Log, transcoding, applying LUTs and all that gets cumbersome and requires lots and lots of data management. Shooting 8 bit in standard color profile looks great in 4.2.0, can be previewed off the card and does not have to be transcoded. If I were in the situation where I was shooting for a client or trying to match other cameras or do a short passion project where quality is the be all and end all, then fine, I would go the 10bit C-log 4.2.2. route as it is wonderful. Down the road if I have a computer that can handle the files without transcoding it would probably change my outlook on this. Or I might go the Atomos Ninja V external recorder route (and record in a more edit-friendly codec) if I feel I need to rig out more.

I thought it might interesting to compare file sizes:

- G9. 4K 50p 8 Bit 4.2.0. LongGOP 150Mbps. A 30 sec clip was 542,411 KB

- R6. 4K 50p 8 Bit 4.2.0 IPB (about 230Mbps I believe) 30 sec clip was 829,718 KB

- R6. 4K 50p 10 Bit 4.2.2. IPB (so c-log). A 30 sec clip was 1,219,279 KB

So even with pretty similar codecs, the R6 footage is a lot more data intensive than the m4/3 camera.

Another issue that has been highly topical on the internet is the IPB codec with people saying All-I is needed. Here I disagree. I doubt most computers except the most recent silicone macs (certainly not mine) could edit the H.265 codec even if it was All-I so I am happy to have a more compressed codec and more card space as either way I would have to transcode or create proxies. The image looks really good to me so All-I compared to IPB to me is a bit irrelevant for my use. The recent firmware update to allow IPB light (with much lower bitrates) is interesting. It does edit more easily and can be previewed on my computer. But it still needs transcoding to really edit properly. But the quality of the image still looks really good and smaller file sizes are a handy option.
Another internet issue has been “IS wobble” with super wide lenses. I don’t see an issue with my 16-35, but then the way I shoot is not handheld vlog style – i.e. walking around while filming.

The 1080p quality is really good. Compared to the 6DII it is night and day. I will actually be shooting a lot of stuff in 1080 as it is that good. This is an important issue here, as even if the camera does overheat then 1080 is still available and is workable for my uses. If the 1080 was like the 6DII then any overheating issues would concern me much more as it would render the camera much less capable.

The oversampled 4K is stunning. Superb.

High frame rate 1080p at 100 or 120fps is pretty good. Slightly softer than regular 1080 but totally useable. And the fact that the AF works in high frame rate (unlike the G9) is a winner.
High ISO ability is as game changing as in photo mode. With the G9 iso 1600 was getting into a no-go area. Not the case here. 6400 and even beyond is not an issue in certain cases. A test clip at ISO 12,800 was totally usable. There was a tiny bit of noise in the shadows but still acceptable. This is huge. As an example, a promo video for our lodge that I shot last year was a huge flop (to me) due to several shots being ruined by noise in (dark, tented chalets) that the R6 would have just laughed at. I am planning to re-do it as soon as we are open and all look fit for public viewing!

I haven’t experimented or used the movie crop mode yet, but this is a feature on the G9 that I use heavily for wildlife though so I am sure it will be useful at times. I will be doing some tests soon.

The IS is great. It is not quite as good as the G9, but it is very close. Even without adding digital IS it allows you to create dynamic shots (slides, push in and out, pans, tilts etc) on the fly. It doesn’t jump to catch up like some systems and seems to know when you are panning or tilting and doesn’t fight the movement. Likewise, if you try to keep very still and create a locked-off shot it does a great job. I wish it had an ‘IS Lock’ function like the G9/GH5 where it kind of boosts IS for static shots and creates a tripod-like stability. Still, it is exceptionally good indeed and can create a locked-off shot well enough with care. In short it is superb, particularly when you remember this is Canon’s first ever mechanically stabilised sensor. To get almost to Panasonic level in one go with a full frame sensor is commendable.

In summation about video:

Sure, it overheats. Yes, dual SD recording would have been nice. 10 bit not being limited to c-log arguably also. But it clearly was never meant to be a full-on A-cam for serious videographers on serious projects. It is for people like me that do hybrid shooting and grab quick clips alongside stills or do smaller projects. What everyone forgets is that this camera does full frame (there is a tiny crop which is not even worth discussing) oversampled 4K 50p in 10 bit 4.2.2. There is still not that many full frame mirrorless cameras that can do that. It meets, and in fact exceeds in many ways, my expectations. The only real thing is the lack of custom modes which annoys me as it is such a simple fix and so important in real life and is available in lesser priced bodies. For video I reckon an 8 out of 10 score is valid. Actually, I want to revise that after some pretty extreme low light tests… On pure image quality (and low light) it is a 9 out of 10.

Overall Conclusion:

This is the camera I was waiting for when I bought the 6Dii as kind of a stop-gap camera. The original R was available when I bought the 6Dii (I tried an R belonging to a guest and wasn’t that impressed) but was clearly not for me, but this one is. It gave me that same feeling that I had when I went to the 1DmkIv from the 7D – that it is not just an incremental upgrade but something that really allows me to raise my game in several ways. While I liked the 6Dii, I never got that same feeling of a big upgrade when I picked it up after the 1DmkIV. Yes, the low light ability was better but that was about it.
With my long and never-ending review, it might seem that I am picking apart the camera.

But what I am criticizing are really small details. I am complaining about things like re-mapping a few buttons, some fairly minor operational details and a few menu item choices. Some of them (record button function and C1,2 & 3) can hopefully be fixed with a firmware update. But here is the crux of my review; the camera is that good that the ‘cons’ have to be picking apart details because that is where the only negatives lurk. It is a poorer man’s 1DXMKIII in so many ways, but way smaller and lighter. I wanted a Canon that could do all my wildlife on a whole other level to the 6DII and I was also tired of carrying my M4/3 gear alongside my canon gear just to get decent video. No longer. After a long period of the cripple hammer making decisions, it is good to see canon catching up to the competition and in some ways exceeding some of them. This camera validates my decision over the last few years to hang in with Canon and hope that they produce a camera that meets my needs and wants. And at times that was an issue – at one time I came very close to going all in with M4/3, and with hindsight I am so glad I didn’t as the low light aspect (like I started to find with the original 7D) I just cannot get around. The “tech lure” of m4/3 and small size was mighty attractive, but for me it would have been a big mistake.

The biggest problem this camera gives me is that now I need to look at getting a 1st RF lens to unlock some of the features that are available with RF lenses as well as the increased IQ that everyone raves about. And the problem is that the lenses singing that siren song are not the cheapest ones. But for now, I will just enjoy my EF glass on this superb body as it already makes them better than they were. I will look at probably the RF 24-105F4 as a first lens in the next year though. Well done Canon!

Some sample images from my first month are below. They are small sized because I use a data capped satellite internet system.

G Dickson's gear list:G Dickson's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Canon EOS R6
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Jul 9, 2020
G Dickson's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
excellent
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
excellent
Flash photography (social)
great
Studio / still life
great
= community average
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow