I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: Useless reviews

tqlla wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Maxxuman wrote:

tbcass wrote:

Because it was mostly people whining who don't own the adapter but were complaining it won't work with their screw drive lenses on the camera they own. I want reviews tested on non screw drive lenses on cameras that Sony says it will work on. The few people who tested it properly gave it high marks.

Here's an example, 1 star.

"The main feature is the motor. But it doesn't work with most cameras (A7M3, o A7-C for that matter). It's ridiculous, for most people this adapter is useless."

Well I suspect that "most people" don't own any screw drive lens (me for example). I am interested in how well it works with newer A mount lenses with a built in motor both Sony and 3rd party. If my A99ii ever dies I need to know how my lenses will work on a camera like the A7rIV.

I own plenty of screw drive lenses. 135/1.8 ZA Sonnar, Minolta 200/2.8, Minolta 85/1.4 among them. Plenty of people own screw drive lenses that they may be interested to adapt in the future. I doubt "most people" only bought the more expensive motor drive ones. In any case, why make an adapter that only works with screw drive lenses on the 3 most expensive bodies?

When I say "most people" I'm including all the lenses that were sold after Sony bought out Minolta. For that reason I suspect SSM and SAM lenses easily outnumber screw drive lenses.

Most Sony A-mount FF Prime lenses are screw drive. So unless the user only uses zoom lenses, they probably have a screw drive lens.

1. Sony 16mm Fisheye
  2. Sony 50mm F1.4
  3. Sony 20mm F2.8
  4. Sony 35mm F1.4
  5. Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro
  6. Sony 100mm Macro
  7. Zeiss 85mm F1.4
  8. Zeiss 135mm F1.8

You're right, but if you have just one lens from this list, there's no reason to buy an adapter. In fact, even if you have a couple it might not be worthwhile.

Going over the items one by one, a few of these :

1. Fisheye: Sony didn't bother making an equivalent, but multiple third party alternatives exist and most of them are cheaper than just the adapter. No AF, but it's not like very short fisheyes need autofocus.

2+4. 50/1.4 and 35/1.4 have excellent Sony or third party equivalents.

3. Although light, the 20/2.8 is not a perfect lens, it's actually worse than many wide angle zooms. Prime alternatives that exist from Tamron and Sony are inexpensive and fairly good quality.

5+6. The macro lenses are very good, but there are multiple alternatives from Sigma (70 and 105), Tokina (100), not to mention Samyang, Laowa or 7Artisans.

7. Sony offers an excellent 85/1.8. Nuff said, except even more alternatives exist.

8. 135 ZA is the only prime lens that is hard to replace. Sigma and Sony are much more expensive and do not stand head and shoulders above the A mount Zeiss.

I'd add 500/8 AF reflex to the list which is compact and light and can produce really good results on a budget (compared to other 400+ mm lenses that fit, but are much heavier and way more expensive).

There are some Minolta lenses which weren't replaced that still hold up well today if you accept their limitations (600/4, 400/4.5, 300/2.8, 200/2.8), but even though they're worthwhile to adapt, they're comparatively rare.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow