Architecture Photography | Retouching

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyGordon Contributing Member • Posts: 593
Re: Architecture Photography | Retouching

Hi,

I'm not an architectural photographer myself, but this is more about lighting and use of sharpening I think.

You may want to take a look at a couple of areas around how you sharpen images.

First maybe look at your Fuji images with the software you used for them and take a look at the default sharpening being applied and see if it is different to your new camera

Second read up on sharpening in general. There are 3 stages of sharpening that will or could be applied:

Input sharpening. This is the default sharpening that will be applied by your software based on their view of what should be applied. I use Capture One and that applies different default sharpening between my Fuji and Nikon raw files, with the Fuji files by default having more default sharpening applied than my Nikon.

Artistic sharpening. This is where you may want to selectively sharpen some areas in an image more than others. An example maybe sharpen a detailed area only and not the sky. Typically you would use masking to do this.

Output sharpening. Where you may apply different sharpening depending on final output of the image. For example, output sharpening for a print will be different from output sharpening for web which may be different for just screen use.

It's an area I'm just digging into. My gut feeling is that the new camera has less input sharpening being applied and you could play around with that as a starting point.

You may also want to look at the lighting being applied to the image. In the first image the camera is facing into the light with a brightly lit sky which will lead to in this case more contrast and hence more apparently sharper images.

The second with your Eos looks to have been shot in a softer light with window light(?) to the right and much softer shadows. In that case boosting sharpness will have an effect, but may look a bit 'wrong' with the softer light.

For what it's worth I like the look of the softer image from your Eos. To replicate the harder more direct light of the first you may want to change lighting, i.e. time of day, remove net curtains if they were present or move to artificial lighting or a  combo of daylight and artificial light.

Just my thoughts

Andy

AndyGordon's gear list:AndyGordon's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow