Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
dmiller62 Contributing Member • Posts: 633
Re: MacBook Pro and Spyder X

Jacques Cornell wrote:

dmiller62 wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

Which calibration settings did you choose ?

I choose full calibration and setting like this tutorial video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBCoo3-Tm_o

(snip)

In particular, if you're using an inexpensive display and calibrating it to less than 6000K with a luminance of 120cd/m2 or less, it'll probably look yellowish.

A good starting point is -

• WB: 6500K or D65
  • Luminance: 120-140cd/m2
  • Gamut: sRGB, aRGB, or P3 (depending on your display)
  • Contrast: native

The default calibration will be to 6500K, gamma 2.2. There's no gamut "setting" for calibration.

Maybe your software simply doesn't offer these options. Mine does. With a wide-gamut display, I can choose sRGB, aRGB, and other color spaces like P3 or ProPhoto.

That's fine, if the software offers it as an option. (The basic function of display calibration software is to accurately measure the uncalibrated response of the screen that's being calibrated, and to create a display profile that contains calibration LUTs based on that (it's the LUTs that make adjustments to white point, gamma, and luminance, to produce the overall calibrated look that affects everything that's displayed on the screen, including the desktop).

The "uncalibrated response of the screen" is going to be based on front panel settings on desktop displays, such as, assorted wide gamut displays that may be able to display more than one wide gamut (typically the front panel settings choices will be sRGB, Adobe RGB, and/or P3). It's the display itself that (via user choice) that controls the gamut. The display profile is then created based on that.

(Macbook Pros and iMacs don't give you a hardware setting for gamut - it's P3, and only P3).

The most typical usage of display profile is what I've described above.

And then: for photographic work: the way you'd go about limiting the gamut of images that you're working on, to sRGB, would be to choose sRGB as your RGB Working Space (in Photoshop). Or if you're using Lightroom Classic, export your images as sRGB (since LRC works internally in a much wider space).

However, with all that said: SpyderXElite (yes, you need the higher level of software to do this) does provide an extensive list of additional calibration targets, and sRGB is one of them. So it's possible to create the kind of profile you're talking about here.

(SpyderXPro, the less expensive version of software, doesn't have that feature)

The display calibration process measures uncalibrated color patches using the native gamut of the display.

Yes, but then it has to generate a profile, which uses the selected color space (AKA gamut).

The 2017 Macbook Pro is a P3 gamut display

For which you might want to generate an sRGB profile for previewing how images will appear online or when printed by a lab that uses sRGB.

That would work, but it's not the only way to go about doing it. Rather than creating a gamut limited sRGB profile for use on a wide gamut display, you could just as easily softproof in either Photoshop or Lightroom, choosing sRGB as the destination, instead of a printer profile, and then your soft proof would be gamut limited to sRGB.

, and that's what gets measured (and also what shows up in the gamut plot that the SpyderX software shows after the calibration is complete).

I haven't used Datacolor's software in a long time, but what you're describing sounds like a stripped-down app that offers only a very limited set of options. Perhaps this is what you get with their cheapest kit. They used to, and may still today, offer a range of apps at different price points that were differentiated by the number of options and level of control offered. Their pricier kits offered the kinds of options I've described above.

The SpyderX software has 2 levels: Pro, and Elite; which correspond to the same levels in the older Spyder3, 4, and 5 software. (the simplest Express level from Spyder3,4,5 isn't an available option for SpyderX). SpyderXElite will let someone create a display profile that's gamut limited to sRGB, even on a wide gamut display that was set to a wider, non-sRGB gamut. SpyderX Pro software won't do that.

-- hide signature --

David Miller
Senior Software Developer, Consumer Graphics Software
Datacolor

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow