New here / New to Nikon D5500 / Grand Canyon mess up

Started 4 weeks ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RTVO New Member • Posts: 3
New here / New to Nikon D5500 / Grand Canyon mess up

Hi,

I am new to this board and to a DSLR.  Only prior experience was with a Minolta SLR in high school.  Film, mostly black and white, and enlargers in a dark room back then.   Since then, all family snap shots, of course for the last 7 years, mostly with an iPhone.

Now I have a Nikon D5500 using the Nikon 18-300mm zoom lens and, on this trip, a polarizing filter.   Did not have too much time before the trip to prepare.  Spent 3 weeks in Tucson, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Escalante, Capital Reef and Sedona.  I know, why did I come home?

Main question....how should I have shot the Grand Canyon to get extensive depth of field on the photo?

Tons of pics with limited or inadequate depth of field.  I tried to a) not zoom a lot, b) use f22 of higher), and c) "aim" the autofocus typically on something far away but not always.  One day was partly cloudy -- cool light as part of the canyon had sun and parts did not.  The other days were sunny.   But in a quick look at the many pics on my Mac in Preview, almost all the pictures have a crappy depth of field.  I saved in NEF/RAW and in JPEG.   For some shots, I let the camera do it full auto) or put the Nikon into Landscape mode.  Dont recall every having this issue back in high school -- but everything was manual back then and fewer dialst o turn!

I need to look through the pics closer from Tuscon and the other places we visited but at first glance seems less of a problem.

Was it the zoom lens?  Was it the polarizing filter?  Was it where I focused?  I am not thinking its the f-stop?   What else should I have done?  And...can I do anything in Photoshop now?

Last comment...my old IPhone 8 killed it....no issues at all.  Rock formations close by and on the edge of the North Rim, miles away, all in focus.

Appreciate help and patience!  Thank you!!

RTVO

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow