M81, M82 and a Question

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
andresch Junior Member • Posts: 48
M81, M82 and a Question

Hi,

My second try at Bodes Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy. Shots were taken at the end of last week in a night with average to good conditions. This is also the first image with a proper flattener attached to my scope. I am quite happy with the image quality, now i can use the whole field of view with round stars even at the edges.

71x 60s, 24 darks, 30 flats, 30 biases
60/360 FPL53 doublet APO, Olympus OMD E-M10ii, Processed with Affinty Photo

M81 & M82

I am quite happy with the result, although i think it would benefit from more integration time. With a bit of imagination i can even see a faint smudge where Holmberg IX is supposed to be. But maybe its just wishful thinking...

My question: I notice that the (brighter) stars in my pictures are often getting quite"large". It is not bothering me too much but i wonder if i am doing something wrong. Focus should not be too bad i think. PA and tracking (no guiding so far) seem also OK to me. Is this just the characteristics of the scope (refractor)? Maybe some high clouds? Too long (sub-) exposure?

Thanks & Cheers
Chris

andresch's gear list:andresch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow