Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Mark Ahn Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Sigma 45mm 2.8 communication/focusing issue

Update on this since things are seemingly going a bit sideways and would like to know you thoughts. I sent the lens back to Sigma at my expense (almost $40 UPS Ground, opted to insure for $500), and just received an email from their service department that its indeed a faulty lens and will require service at a cost of $360 plus $20 s/h.

Maybe it's just me and I was expecting too much, but I got the impression that if a product arrived defective, that it would be either replaced for repaired at little or no cost.  My initial inclination was to send it back to Panasonic since I received from them as a free lens promo, but after emailing Sigma to confirm that the lens was defective, they insisted I send to them instead of Panasonic.

The repair form also note that the lens as a gray market lens, which was a bit of a surprise.

Anyway, I sent them a back an email to confirm the charge, and if indeed they are going to charge for the repair and shipping, to just leave it as is and just ship it back, and I'll try the Panasonic route.  We'll see what they come back with.  It all almost seems like too much trouble.

Mark Ahn's gear list:Mark Ahn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Ricoh GR III Panasonic GH5 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow