Z6ii or Z7ii for my needs?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,506
Re: Z6ii or Z7ii for my needs?

I would stick with what you have and get your daughter a Z50. Your earlier comment that your Z6 can still do ten other things just fine is spot on.

For several years I shot a D610 as my only camera, and I was doing 80% birds - small birds in the trees and birds in flight. My keeper rate was more than acceptable and I got some images that remain favorites to this day.

In your shoes, a Z6ii is a minor upgrade (but maybe more with firmware releases). A Z7ii is a two edged sword, since you won't benefit from the extra MP unless you are getting nice sharp images. This camera will also expose any flaws in your technique.

Really, for the Z's to shine you need get a faster lens. The 200-600mm has not been released and we can only speculate about its performance (and price). In the meantime, a 500mm PF would be a good choice. Lighter, sharper, and faster focusing than your current lens. Or, stick with what you've got and see what develops over the next year or so.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
csn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow