Long time away. Coming back for really good stills IQ and maybe new kit

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FrowningMan New Member • Posts: 4
Long time away. Coming back for really good stills IQ and maybe new kit

So I have had some bad news on the health front and would like some time doing what I used to be passionate about...

studio work,

with strobes,

macro,

ISO 100,

typically spending lots of time composing the shot (flowers) with an optical viewfinder freehand, then on tripod and then switched to Live View for the final tweaks and manual focus, then cable release too. (Canon 550D and 100mm Canon EF macro). In other words very slow and deliberate work. All for personal pleasure and torment.

I'm not new to the game and am not asking as a beginner, but an awful lot has changed from what I read. I want really good image quality. I was considering something like the Sony A7R III (£2,200 vs the IV model at £3,100) and Sony FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G OS (£850). I'm not really looking at it for anything else but sensor's IQ and long macro of good quality and price (without going into Medium Format with what seems prohibitively expensive lenses) but I'm not sure about using the digital viewfinder over optical of a DSLR.

Any comments or alternative recommendations?

Sorry long post.

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow