What Caused the Difference in Contrast Loss and Flaring Between These Images?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Platographer Contributing Member • Posts: 509
What Caused the Difference in Contrast Loss and Flaring Between These Images?

Below are two images downsampled to 2MP. Both were shot with my Tamron 28-200 f2.8-5.6 on my Sony A7Riv. Although these are two different beaches, both were taken at sunrise when the sun was roughly the same height with virtually no clouds. Yet, the pier in the second one shows a substantial loss of contrast and flaring while the lifeguard stand in the first one does not. These were both from a series of bracketed images. I didn't choose brighter images because I wanted to ensure you could see the sun was comparable in both. But the brightest images show the difference in contrast loss and flaring even more. The pier photo has extreme loss of contrast and flaring while there is essentially no loss of contrast or flaring in the lifeguard stand photo. Why is this? I'm trying to learn the best way to take these types of challenging shots, so I want to learn why I had contrast loss and flaring in one situation and not the other despite seemingly nearly materially identical circumstances.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow