Colorgrading Beatflat5 and Beatlog2 video

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Archaeoguy New Member • Posts: 1
Colorgrading Beatflat5 and Beatlog2 video

Hi everyone,

Longtime reader of dpreview, first time poster. I recently upgraded to a Nikon z6ii. Love it, but I'm having trouble color correcting the video footage and I could really use some help. I am using 8-bit internal video, shooting at 4k 30 fps with WB set at 5k. I've been doing a ton of reading about creating custom profiles, including pretty much everything beatboxa has posted (so helpful!). In fact, I replicated his BeatFlat5 and BeatLog-II profiles recently, which I have been experimenting with (I find BeatLog-II to be the most versatile). I am then importing the video into Premiere Pro 2021.

Question 1) What is the most appropriate way to color-correct video shot with a log profile like BeatLog-II? Right now, I am shooting a few seconds of an XRITE Color Checker and then using that to set white balance and other adjustments. It works...ok. I still find that the video either looks dull or the colors still seem off. I'm a bit disappointed. I've considered testing out the EOSHD Z-log profile and LUTs to see what it does, but honestly I don't want a black-box solution. I would rather prefer to understand the logic behind specific tasks and then be able to understand what and how to make the necessary changes myself, if that makes any sense. And, right now, I just want to be able to replicate the colors I see in real-life before I consider adding any luts for stylistic purposes.

Question 2) Relatedly, beatboxa once mentioned "When you're ready to edit, import your video into Davinci Resolve, and make approximately the opposite curve (or grade however you prefer) in the Colors pane. I like to start with the curve, then adjust saturation, white balance, etc. Then, if needed, apply a LUT." What does "make the opposite curve mean" and is this something that can be done in Premiere Pro?

Question 3) Lastly, when shooting video does variable ISO impact the colors and ability to color-correct / grade footage shot under varying circumstances? For example, if I had a long shot, starting indoors and then moved outside, would variable auto ISO impact how the colors are rendered across the sequence?

Thanks up front for any advice. Sorry the post is a bit long and I hope my questions aren't too naive or dumb.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow