To Oly 100-400 or not...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dgrogers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,194
To Oly 100-400 or not...

I want a good lens for wildlife and birding so I am seriously considering the Olympus 100-400 and perhaps the 1.4 TC (unless you convince me I'm better off with the 2x). The 300mm f/4 is just more money than I want to spend and I prefer the versatility of a zoom for this type of lens anyway. Having said that, I keep seeing conflicting opinions on this lens. Some people say it's extremely sharp while others say it does not compare to a pro lens. It can also be problematic in the morning and evening due to the need to boost ISO too much. So for those who have it, what are your thoughts? Would you get it again? And if it doesn't compare to a pro lens, can I expect better than 40-150 plastic fantastic levels of image quality? I live in a great area for wildlife and I want to take advantage of it.

I'm starting to think I need to go to lensaholics anonymous. Can anyone give me the number?

dgrogers's gear list:dgrogers's gear list
Olympus E-1 Samsung NX20 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow