Do you find D780 photos to be underexposed too often?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Idy Forum Member • Posts: 64
Do you find D780 photos to be underexposed too often?

I've been playing with the D780 for almost a year now. I'm finding most photos underexposed in matrix metering. A quick search seems to yield some similar experiences, see here and quoting:

"Even taking that into account, though, it does seem as if the D780’s Matrix metering is biased towards highlights rather than midtones. You’re less likely to get highlight blowout with this camera but more likely to have to make tonal adjustments in software later. We also had a few shots which were underexposed for no obvious reason."

Here are a couple of examples within a few seconds of each other, the first one with no exposure compensation, the second one with +0.7.

No exposure compensation, measuring light (AE) on the grey around of the mountains roughly in the centre-right of the image.

Exposure compensation +0.7

I'm not sure what to do. I would say it's hit or miss, roughly 50% of photos visibly underexposed. Should I by default overexpose by +0.7 or +1.0, what do you think?

Thanks for your thoughts!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow