Dell Laptop Screen vs Monitor

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
bmoag Senior Member • Posts: 2,856
Re: Dell Laptop Screen vs Monitor

The best solution to your problem requires a trip through the Twilight Zone of color management and monitor calibration. Also understanding that all monitors experience a degree of color drift over time. And perhaps better understanding the differences between what a print can display compared to a monitor.

Factory calibration is usually market speak for LUTs built into the monitor. The short of it is that LUTs, when used with an appropriate calibration device and software, allow "hardware" calibration of the monitor rather than the "software" calibration used with monitors that do not have LUTs. I have never seen a difference in terms of print results, but I digress.

Out of camera jpegs that have not had anything more than cropping applied should print reasonably accurately at kiosks and on-line printers, think of cell phones. If you start changing brightness/hue/saturation etc  you are likely to push RGB values out of the sRGB range regardless of the type of monitor you are using, calibrated or not.  Havoc ensues.

Raw files have a limiting color space and bit depth based on your camera settings but are not tagged with a color space until you do that in a program like PS. If you do it wrong havoc ensues.

The purpose of calibration is to translate to a color managed program the RGB values the monitor actually displays to what ideally it should display so those RGB values can be translated to what the printer can reproduce--that's how it ideally works, anyway. As a byproduct monitor colors can be corrected to a degree with calibration but monitors are rarely wildly off color. Your description suggests the laptop is a TN panel (issues with viewing angles) and so should be ignored for image processing. At a minimum when using the Samsung be sure Windows is set for the canned Samsung monitor profile (you can look up how to do that).

In any event if you want to pursue these subjects, which once understood stabilizes and improves all image processing results, I always recommend digitaldog.net. I believe the videos are now available on youtube through a link on the website.

bmoag's gear list:bmoag's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D3300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z6
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow