Fuji XF 70-300 Initial impressions... Part II (Wow!!)

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Yannis1976
Yannis1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,593
Fuji XF 70-300 Initial impressions... Part II (Wow!!)

Today I went hiking exclusively for nature/birds and came back with 3GB or RAW data! The lens at 300mm focuses fast enough (3x3 at CAF) and in general works great for BIF if you acknowledge that 300mm is short for birds and you will need to crop afterwards.

There were some misfocus cases depending on the subject, maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 but nothing that made the experience bad.

In terms of IQ at 300mm the lens is VERY sharp even at f5.6, but it does have some very light vignetting which can easily be corrected (and a lot of the times you wont notice if you crop).

All images below are pp in LR to my liking and a lot of them are quite heavy crops (less than 1/3 of original photo!!)

CAF works great, but expect some increased sky noise as at 300mm you will need to crop a lot

Heavy crop and increased noise, but photo is still sharp

In my eyes this lens is very sharp at 300mm...

Perfect for nature and close ups

Apart from the 60/2.4, I am not sure if I have ever seen such detail from my XT3 before

Personally I am very happy with this new lens from Fuji and cant wait to test it with a 1.4x extender.

Yannis1976's gear list:Yannis1976's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Canon G5 X II Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow