Z6ii or Z7ii for my needs?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
csn
csn Contributing Member • Posts: 866
Re: Z6ii or Z7ii for my needs?

I'm doing this for myself too. So, for wild-life, especially BiF (and neglecting storage capacity, price, etc.), the main differences between the 6-II and 7-II are 1) pixel count (the ability to crop) and 2) low light capability. Hence, I think, there are two questions we need to ask and evaluate the answer to:

1. Can we fill the frame with the subject?

2. Is low light capability Important?

Also, you may want to assign a weight, according to your personal preference, to each of the questions.

| Q1 | Q 2 | Result

| --- | --- | ---

| no | no | the ability to crop is important (regardless of personal preference) so pick 7-II

| no | yes | depends on personal preference

| yes | no | depends on personal preference

| yes | yes | pick the 6-II

So if I plug weights in for q1 and q2, for me the clear choice is the 7-II (because I almost always shoot in good light and crop, often heavily). This is why I passed up the opportunity to get a 6-II body this weekend.

With that said, this is all kinda academic right now because there are no Z 7 II bodies available for sale (at least here is the US) but there seem to be Z 6 IIs available. So I may just grab a 6-II body just to see what the fuss is about.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

csn's gear list:csn's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
csn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow