A7 Camera Skins

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
newdom Junior Member • Posts: 48
A7 Camera Skins

Hi all, I just upgraded my A7 to a sparkly A7Rii.  Bought from eBay for a great price but in incredible condition - if I had been sold it as new I wouldn't have known otherwise.  I'm a newbie photographer and this is a lot of money for me so I'd sit in a corner and sob if it got badly scratched up and I rely on it's resale value for future upgrades etc, so I started looking at ways to protect it.

I won't say anything against the half or full cases, or the silicone sleeve cases, but they're just not for me - aesthetically and practically.   I have a Peak Design (5L) bag to carry the camera/lenses/accessories which is great for protecting it when not in use.  I wanted something to protect against scratches/scuffs while in use but not get in the way, so I started looking into the 'skins' like AlphaGvrd.  I live in the UK and the only skin that is available to me shipped from the UK is a cheapie £15 job from Amazon, made by a chinese company Kiwifotos.  Well I couldn't find much about them on this forum or elsewhere, but thought I'd give it a punt as it's only £15 and apparently they come off cleanly so not a big loss if it didn't work.  What turned up really surprised me.  It's very professionally packaged and designed, and it's superbly made.  It's quite fiddly - it took about 2 hours in front of the TV to put on quite carefully, but it peels off very easily so you can have as many goes as you want.

It applies very neatly - all the parts surprisingly are neatly cut to the millimeter and fit absolutely perfectly.  Being used to smashing bits of Ikea furniture with a hammer to get them to fit together, I was expecting more of a fight..

I've boosted the shadow in these pics so you can see it more clearly, but it's actually a very subtle 'camo' effect in slightly different shades of black/grey - you don't really notice the skin unless you look quite closely.  There are cut outs for all the buttons, switches, labels etc so it doesn't get in the way.  I realise I sound like a bit of an advert, but I just wanted to post this so that someone else like me searching for a bit of info/reassurance on these skins.  They're obviously not going to guard against bangs and falls, but certainly they're tough enough to protect against most scrapes and scratches.  When I go climbing I'll certainly put a silicone case on or something like that.

I also put a Sony screen protector on as I prefer these to the tempered glass type.  The PCK-LM15 is listed as the correct part for the A7(R)ii, but oddly there are two notches cut out of the left hand corners for seemingly no reason.  They might be for a different model of camera?  But still it works well:

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6 +1 more
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow