Help with landscape edit

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,034
Help with landscape edit

The following image was taken last a week ago at Big Bend National Park in the Chisos Basin at sunset.  It is one of the most photographed places in the park.  This was a vacation for my wife and I so I did not do much pre work to study the subject before hand.

I used my Z6II with a 24-70 G lens at 38 mm with 1/25th of a second at F22 and hand held at ISO 200. I tried a lot of different settings as the sun was going down to get what I wanted.  I had not taken my tripod as we hiked a few hundred yards and did not want go back and get it.

I'm happy with the image as is but would like to know what I could have done at the moment and in post processing.  Mainly my issue is with the sun.   I really wanted to get the star effect of the sun on the mountains and was seeing that well and the reason for the aperture I used.  I also know that I could have used a higher ISO but the IBIS had seemed to handle the low shutter speeds very well.

What I was looking for is to more define the sun on top while also keeping some detail in the foreground and in the rocks and mountains.  I tried several different things in exposure compensation,  metering and basic settings.  The one thing I didn't try that I wished I would have is bracketing.  I still don't know if that would have worked.

I mostly use LR for post processing but have done a little in Photo Shop.  Landscape is not my usual work but is becoming a larger part of my work as I am generating more income from landscapes.

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow