Canon EF and RF compatibility / buying questions.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PGSONY Forum Member • Posts: 67
Canon EF and RF compatibility / buying questions.

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for some clarification. I just found out that canon is discounting a bunch of EF mount lenses. I currently own a 10 year old 5DM3 and a few EF lenses. I was planning to purchase the EF 85mm f1.2 and found out it's been discontinued. I've got the following questions:

1. I was also considering getting a 5dm4 along with the 85mm. Does it still make sense for me to do this if the EF lenses are being discontinued? I'm concerned I won't be able to replace my lenses if something happens to them.
  2. Are the RF mount LENSES compatible with 5dm3/5dm4 via an adapter? I couldn't find a clear answer to this anywhere.
  3. Should I consider an R mount camera instead of the 5dm4? I believe my current EF lenses would be compatible through an adapter, but I'm not sure of the other way around.
  4. What sites are trustworthy to purchase a new 85mm? I've only ever purchased from B&H but they no longer have it in stock. Seeing some availability on Willoughby, but haven't ever purchased here.

I'm a small scale photographer.. I do this as a hobby really and sometimes for close friends and family. I can't afford to switch up to the R line completely. Any guidance in how I should proceed would be great. I really want to get the 85mm lens and a 5dm4 but only if it makes sense.

Thank you!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow