Clog1 Footage: Shadows/Highlights are completely crushed once Canon LUT is applied

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pahnson Junior Member • Posts: 40
Clog1 Footage: Shadows/Highlights are completely crushed once Canon LUT is applied

Hi,

I record clog1 on the Canon R5 in bt709, neutral. If I put the footage in premiere all the information are there, exposure is fine, I can grade it to taste. It offers more dynamic range as an image recorded in standard mode with the faithful or neutral profile. Also less banding, since its 10bit and not 8bit. It behaves just like expected.

But if I apply first the LUT in Lumetri that is supplied by canon, BT709_CanonLog-to-BT709_WideDR_65_FF_Ver.2.0.cube than all the shadows and highlights are completely crushed. Its unusable and the shadows cant be restored by grading.

I expected the LUT to give me an image thats close to a normal, "neutral" image, but with the benefits of more color depth (10bit over 8bit) and more dynamic range. The opposite is the case, once I apply the LUT to the log footage. (When I use clog3 and the corresponding clog3 LUT, its exactly the same problem).

I made a comparison, using the standard recording and the clog file with the LUT applied: https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/8143820288/photos/4161089/comparison

What am I missing here? Why is the log footage unusable (in scenes with high contrast)? Thank you

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow