Thoughts on an 85mm

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
diness Veteran Member • Posts: 3,741
Thoughts on an 85mm

Hey everyone,

I have an EOS R with an RF 24-105mm f4L and a 35mm f1.8 stm.  I am looking to add an 85mm to my kit as it’s a focal length I like using quite a lot and I do a fair amount of portraits.  That would be it’s primary use, portraiture.  The obvious choice is probably the RF 85mm f/2 IS, and I am considering it, but I am a little bummed that it’s only f/2 and the bokeh doesn’t look great from it.  It seems like it would probably do a good job, but probably not have the “wow” factor of some other lenses.  The RF 85mm f1.2L would be awesome, but is way out of my price range, so that’s out.

So... would you just go with the 85mm f/2 or would you go with the Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art, which is really excellent, but very large and heavy, or go with the Samyang 85mm f1.4 which I am a little concerned with how reliable it’s going to be, or go with the old EF 85mm f1.2L which certainly has the magic, but is slow to focus and maybe isn’t as sharp wide open as some others.  I’d love to hear your thoughts!  Also, FWIW, I rarely shoot below 1/125 of a second when shooting people, so IS is a nice addition, but not really super important to me.  Also, macro capability is nice, but I don’t really do that, so again, it’s not a priority either.  Would love your thoughts!

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow