I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
toughluck Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

tqlla wrote:

Prognathous wrote:

tqlla wrote:

I am going to wait a few years for the A99ii to drop in price, and pick one up again. Then use it without the mirror.

Is it possible to get rid of the mirror and still retain AF capabilities? Doesn't the AF module depend on it? And if not, can the on-sensor PDAF provide AF performance that's even close to that of the E-mount cameras?

To me the main attraction of E-mount AF is that there are no front-focus / back-focus issues and that subject tracking and eye AF work across the entire frame using a very dense AF point array.

I heard it worked okay. Though I never tried when I had my A99ii. The A99ii is in essence an A7Riii with an SLT in front.

https://www.dyxum.com/dforum/a99ii-first-impressions_topic123262_post1465339.html#1465339

I only have 3 screw drive lenses I want to use with it, and they are all Sony. So they "Should" work.

Sony Zeiss 135mm F1.8

Yes

Sony Zeiss 85mm F1.4

Yes

Sony 16mm Fisheye F2.8

No

The fisheye is not compatible with A99ii hybrid AF, and it won't work with OSPDAF.

toughluck's gear list:toughluck's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow