First _real_ outing with the M6II

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
CuriousSerge New Member • Posts: 16
Re: First _real_ outing with the M6II

Hi Randy,

It looks like you are having fun on your trip getting those lovely images!  In my experience, M6 Mark II is actually doing a very good job calculating exposure.  I'm getting much fewer blown highlights than I used to with older Canon DSLRs (60D and 80D).  I think it might be because it samples from the entire sensor and uses much more powerful processor.  However, that redwood forest presents a very challenging lighting - the dynamic range of the scene is very high, especially during the middle of the day.  Do you have histogram displayed when you are taking your images?  That will make it much easier to dial in the correct exposure compensation, and M6II provides so many control points that it makes it quick and easy to change it when you need it.

I noticed that your ISO for forest scenes was quite high (500 and higher).  You are using lenses with the image stabilization, so don't be afraid to drop the shutter speed to as low as 1/10 when shooting stationary subjects, or even to 1/5 if you are shooting at 11mm.  As long as you are steady when taking an image, the images should be sharp.  YMMV, depending on your technique, so don't be afraid to experiment.  This will allow you to shoot at base ISO, which will greatly improve your ability to lift shadows in post-processing.  Also, make sure you are using electronic shutter when shooting with IS lenses at the shutter speeds between 1/60-1s.  Unfortunately, M6II suffers from shutter shock at these shutter speeds with stabilized EF-M lenses, so the images will be softer if you use mechanical shutter.

Finally, I noticed that many of your images are shot at F10.  On a camera with high-density sensor such as M6II, anything above F8 suffers from visible diffraction.  The highest sharpness in the center is actually achieved at F5.6. Unless you need a very deep depth of field, I would suggest to keep the aperture a little wider.  Most of my landscape images are shot with F6.3-7.1, which in my opinion gives you the optimal balance in terms of overall sharpness across the frame.  You may want to stop down to F8 when you shoot at the long end of that 18-150 lens of yours, but usually there is no need to stop down any further.  Happy shooting!

Sergei

CuriousSerge's gear list:CuriousSerge's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow