Full Frame Sensor vs. Crop Sensor

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hikerpix Forum Member • Posts: 53
Full Frame Sensor vs. Crop Sensor

I often hear people say if you put a 500mm lens on crop sensor body, you can use it as 700mm lens. and they consider this is an advantage of crop body.

I don't quite understand why they want to do this, because I think it is just view angle gets changed, the picture from corp sensor is a smaller view of full frame picture. the IQ doesn't get any advantage from it if it is not worse, because cropped sensor takes less amount of light. In another words, if I crop a full-frame picture to the same angle as crop sensor camera can get, the IQ of cropped picture should be better or at least same as the picture we can get from crop body. Is my understanding correct?

If it is incorrect, can i say the quality of the crop sensor must be better than that full-frame sensor?

If it is correct, why people want to put 500mm lens onto crop body to get a fake 700mm picture? they can just get the similar picture from post process.

I read discussions about Nikon D850 crop mode vs D500. some say D850 is better while other prefer the pictures from D500. Why their IQ is so close to each other? it makes me think that D500 sensor is better or it uses some advanced technology.

Can you please share what you think? Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow