southern australia wildlife

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
anycolourfloyd Regular Member • Posts: 268
southern australia wildlife

just got back from a week away, coastal southern australia. lots of time for surfing and bird watching!

i pushed the ISO on a number of these shots further than i would normally care to, somewhat inspired by some of the very high ISO shots that i've seen ANAYV put up.

painted dragon in the dunes (millipede by its leg for scale)

australia's smallest bird, the weebill (weighing in at approx 6 grams)

juvenile striated pardalote, continuing the small bird theme. these guys are often seen but not heard as they like to hang out in the high canopy of gums.

little pied cormorant, presenting itself in the light with a nice bright background

brown quail, first sighting for me. i love watching quails, they look like plump avocados with tiny head and legs pinned on. they are ground dwelling and social but fast, furtive all up quite difficult to photograph. biggest challenge i had here though was harsh and hot lighting destroying fine detail.

white-browed scrub wren fresh out of bath time

white-naped honeyeater enjoying the same puddle, another first sighting for me

adelaide rosella

new holland honey-eater - ubiquitous but attractive enough that i'll take the bait if it presents itself in front of me

male superb fairy-wren, in eclipse plumage (not his bright blue self)

juvenile grey butcherbird enjoying breaky in the morning sun

australian swamp rat feeding on a native correa flower, at an eye watering 32,000 ISO

sacred kingfisher after downing his breakfast fish

black swan with cygnet brood

anycolourfloyd's gear list:anycolourfloyd's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow