Viewing edited (final) photos on various displays?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,460
Viewing edited (final) photos on various displays?

I'm sure this is probably an open-ended question and there is no real answer to it, but I was looking at my IG account at work (on my work computer, which is a basic monitor that is not calibrated, so it's some $100 cheap monitor). Anyway, the colors looked really dull compared to my home photo editing computer (Which the screen is calibrated on that computer for the environment--which I use a room in my house that has no daylight so the lighting is constant making calibration a bit easier and the artificial light helps keep it consistent).

Is there anything you can do to photos to perhaps make them standout more I guess and not look as dull (color-wise), aside from calibrating other monitors?

Or is this something we just have to live with? I know some people might say to bump up the saturation or vibrance but I don't think that would be the best answer. Yet when I view images of other people's on my work or home computer, they look decent on either one (mine usually look a little dull.

On my phone they look fine, but my phone (which is a Samsung) adds a bit of saturation...

Thoughts on this or should I not worry?

(I'm mainly concerned about on-screen display among different displays in general.)

I'm also wondering if I need to embed the color profile into the image as well, as I see that is an option on some programs upon export... for example, I think PS has a checkbox to embed the color profile. I'm wondering if this is not exported with the image, it just resorts to sRGB or something.

(I have been editing in Pro Photo RGB as that's the default for Adobe LR/PS and supposedly the largest color space, as people have said to work in the largest color space possible and "throw away" color data later when you export to fit the needs of the file format or your needs for the exported file, ie. going from ProPhoto to sRGB).

I know that entire books are written on color science and I'm sure this could qualify for an entire book, but I'm mainly just looking for some ideas that I can do to make my images pop a bit more (appear less dull) on non-calibrated displays, but also not overly saturated on displays like TVs (which tend to add their own saturation depending on the display mode).

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow