I was reading the reviews of the LA-EA5 on Sony.com...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Prognathous Veteran Member • Posts: 9,322
Re: How many A-mount users are waiting for new bodies with full support for LA-EA5?

tqlla wrote:

I am going to wait a few years for the A99ii to drop in price, and pick one up again. Then use it without the mirror.

Is it possible to get rid of the mirror and still retain AF capabilities? Doesn't the AF module depend on it? And if not, can the on-sensor PDAF provide AF performance that's even close to that of the E-mount cameras?

To me the main attraction of E-mount AF is that there are no front-focus / back-focus issues and that subject tracking and eye AF work across the entire frame using a very dense AF point array.

I feel like the A6400 with IBIS... is the A6600. So I wouldnt expect a newer and cheaper IBIS APSC emount camera to appear.

If the price is low enough and the features dropped from the A660 are kept, I'd be willing to consider a camera without IBIS. It's not a total deal breaker, but yes, it's ridicules that even the cheapest A-mount cameras (priced at less than $500) had it, while in E-mount Sony is trying to position it as a premium feature and only offers it with cameras that cost 3x as much.

Prognathous's gear list:Prognathous's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron SP AF 60mm F2 Di II LD IF Macro Tamron 18-270mm F3.5-6.3 Di II PZD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Olympus Stylus 1s +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow