Speed boosting vintage lenses?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DavesDogma New Member • Posts: 2
Speed boosting vintage lenses?

I've got a variety of vintage lenses, mostly M42. I'm using them on my M6 Mii with an M42-EFM adapter. There's no problem using those lenses in this way. The only thing is that the focal length and aperture are multiplied by the crop factor, if I understand correctly. So my Auto-Rikenon 55mm f1.4 is actually a full frame equivalent of 88mm f2.2, if this assumption is correct. I'm assuming that the crop factor needs to be applied to the aperture in addition to focal length--is this a correct assumption?

I also own an Canon EF-EFM adapter which I normally use with my EFS 55-250 lens. If I put a very thin M42-EF adapter on this, and then attach an M42 lens to this combination of 2 adapters, it will take one photo and then throw the following error:

ERR 01

Communications between the camera and lens is faulty. Clean the lens contacts.

The error will only clear if I turn off the power and turn it back on again. Am I harming my camera to use it in this way?

I'd love to be able to speed boost my vintage lenses to make them about 1.1X (1.6 x 0.71) so that the focal length and max aperture are as they were originally intended. Then on my daily hike I could carry two prime lenses plus speed booster + simple M42-->EFM adapter and I'd in effect have 4 prime lenses in a much smaller form factor. Is this a correct assumption?

Would I get this error after every shot if I get a speed booster? If I wish to speed boost vintage lenses, would I need to get a "dumb" speed booster that lacks the electronics instead? Would they have crappy optics compared to the more pricey speed boosters, such as viltrox or better?

Sorry for all of the questions. This is my first post here. I want to thank everyone on this forum for the help they offer newbies such as myself.

Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow