D800 vs Pentax K3

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208
D800 vs Pentax K3

......... No, Im not looking to buy or ask for advice on which to buy because I have both and shot a wedding with them both yesterday.

My question for ex - Pentax shooters who came across to Nikon is:

How bad did you find Pentax AF-S is compared to your Nikon?... yes AF-S not even AF-C because that's a no-brainer.

I have a mish mash kit right now and I'd like to go fully one way or the other (although my K3 is probably not worth selling for various reasons and its a good back up kit)

I shot the wedding yesterday and the other week and found that the D800... as old as it is now .... and has a crappy old Sigma 24-70 f2.8 non VR lens .... yet still the AF-S just locks on EVERY TIME, no hesitation, just rock solid, the D800 still performs adequately in high iso and delivered the results.

The K3 on the other hand, although I have no qualms about  24mp apsc sensors, just hesitates and hunts enough even on AF-S with a fast focusing lens to make me second guess and re-focus because my long eye sight is good and I can see it's not quite on target. Damn frustrating in a wedding situation.

It may be that the K3 auto focus sensor has dust? but even so I don't think it compares with the snappy reliable old Nikon with an even older lens on it !!!!

Pentax have released the K3Mkiii which on paper looks good and I like Pentax menu systems but it would have to be a night and day improvement for me to buy it at that price when I could pick up a low mileage D750, D810, D850 for that price or better plus the D780 also comes into the picture.

It really comes down to a camera that just does the business and gets out of my way so to speak, I can rely that it will nail the shot 99.9% of the time and the rest is probably my fault .....

I gather the D750 has even better auto focus than D800? and 24mp is fine by me, plus it's more likely even better at high iso than D800?

Nikon D750 Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow