Help please....XT4 dynamic range adjustments?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,385
Help please....XT4 dynamic range adjustments?

Hi,

I've been a long time XT1 user and recently bought an XT4.  I'm still experimenting with it.   I'd be grateful if someone could help me understand the interrelationship(s)  between the various dynamic range adjustments in the XT4.  Yes I have read the manual.  However, though it states what each control does, it doesn't really tell you how they interact.

If it helps to know, I'm a stills-only shooter and largely shoot full size fine J-pegs.

1)  There's the Dynamic Range setting - Auto, DR100%, DR200% and DR400% - as offered by Fuji for a long time.  Not new to me.

2) Then there's 'D Range Priority' - new to me.  This offers 'Off', 'Auto', 'Weak' and 'Strong'.  These operate at the same ISO ranges as Dynamic Range in the 100%, 200% and 400% settings and by description appear to have the same goals.  What's D Range Priority doing that Dynamic Range isn't doing?

3)  Tone Curve - this appears to constrain or enhance shadow and highlight contrast. Again, how does it work with DR and D Range Priority settings?

How do these settings all work together?  Are they cumulative?  Eg What happens if you set DR400% and D Range Priority as "Strong" and Tone Curves to negative values - does it multiply the effect threefold?  Surely not?  And if, for some bizarre reason,  you were to set them in opposite directions, do they offset each other?

4) And what about 'Clarity'?  This appears to tinker with shadow and highlight settings to increase clarity, though the manual doesn't say what it actually does.  How does it fit into DR adjustment?   Does it achieve things that DR, DRP and TC do not?  How have people found it?

I'm a bit puzzled.  I could probably dedicate a day and take a whole lot of test shots, but that's tiresome and would no doubt drag the eyes out of my head.  If anyone already has the answers I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +16 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow