Change for more telephoto?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dbeamish Junior Member • Posts: 32
Change for more telephoto?

Hi.

I have a Nikon D90 (yes from 2008) and a few lenses, including a decent Nikon prime lens and a 70-200mm Nikon stabilised telephoto.

I am planning a vacation with a good amount of walking where some good zoom would be good, so I want to take the D90 and the 200mm, however these things are fairly bulky. It's quite old now but still produces good photos in many situations. I've debated upgrading the body but these days (esp in COVID) I do't get a huge amount of use out of it - my iPhone 12 Pro and some Moment lenses (if needed) generally do me day to day.

So what do you think? Will I get compatible quality from a compact with an (I assume) built in zoom, or are the compromises probably going to be significant?

I looked at a 400mm telephoto lens for my camera and it was... significant in price and size, which then made me wonder if that is the right path for this sort of use.

Opinion would be really welcome.

thanks all

David

dbeamish's gear list:dbeamish's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow