Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Senior Member • Posts: 2,102
Re: Which Lens should I use?

BirdShooter7 wrote:

JasonTheBirder wrote:

TheBlackGrouse wrote:

BirdShooter7 wrote:

I don’t want to pick a fight either but do you happen to have any side by shots that demonstrate this? I have tested the Sigma C and S side by side and they were so close it Was very difficult to pick a winner. I wish I still had the test shots handy to show. I even asked the Sigma folks about it at the Crane festival at Bosque del Apache and they said that my experience was expected. They said the main difference optically would be seen in the corners and at the edge of the frame and the big reason to go for the S vs the C was for more robust build quality and weather sealing. As good as the 100-400 II is, I’ve never been able to get the same quality of results from it that I can with the 150-600 C for FL limited subjects. Now, if you’re close enough that you don’t really need to crop at 400mm then yes, the 100-400 does look better to my eyes but when you’re so far that you need to crop at 400mm then almost always the 150-600 is the winner. The exception is when the subject is so far away that neither look good. That’s my experience at least

Interesting!

The Sigma Sports is hard to find in nature, there are former owners who sold it because of the weight

The Contemporary is used by many, we did tests in nature, side by side comparisons in the first few years after its introduction. Not the best tests but they give a good impression. In those first years there were many discussions about the lens, 150-600 was quite special.

Although I fully believe you I wonder if there are sample issues. Did earlier versions have more copy variation? Maybe the camera brand plays a role? Was it more visible with the 7D than with the 7DII?

https://photographylife.com/reviews/sigma-150-600mm-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-contemporary/4

Nasim Mansurov at photography life did an Imatest comparison of these two. The sport in the center @ 600 was 2711lp/mm at f/8 whereas the contemporary at the same aperture and in the center was 1670. Similar differences held wide open.....if that test is close to typical, I can't believe the differences would not be obvious on birds at medium distances.

I don’t deny the results of that website but I have found that there are often other factors at play in perceived sharpness than how many LP/mm a lens can resolve. For example, the original EF 400mm f/4 DO IS has been measured to have very good resolution but most of the time the images I got from it looked fairly soft without post processing.

I can definitely agree with that. There is also contrast, flaring, etc. For example, if there are bright spots on the bird (such as from harsher light sources), lenses which don't do well with such light sources will also show odd effects on the areas that are just slightly out of focus...which sometimes also leads to an image that looks less sharp than it should. There is also the weird effect of noise, which can make an image actually appear sharper than it really is but actually has less detail.

-- hide signature --

My personal website: https://jpolak.org/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow