Z cameras and non-Nikon adapted lenses

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,938
Z cameras and non-Nikon adapted lenses

I've been on the fence about buying a new Z camera for quite awhile.  Although I've got a number of compatible Nikkor lenses, I also want to adapt some older lenses from other makers such as my Canon FL 58mm f1.2.

You see, I've already used Nikon 1 cameras.  I can zoom in to check focus using the FT1 and Nikon mount lenses, but other adapters like the one I use for FD/FL lenses will not allow any enlargement (and focus peaking is not available on those cameras).  Therefore one has to bracket focusing or otherwise.  Generally, that's not a problem since using these lenses forces the photographer to show down.

My questions are therefore two-fold:

1.  Does a dumb adapter on Z cameras allow for up to 100% zoom, either with the EVF or in live view?

2.  How well does focus peaking work with non-Nikon lenses, especially for those with less contrast, wide apertures or narrow depth of field (such as that 58 f1.2)

I'd be happy to hear from any Z user, no matter which camera.  If I ever do jump into the Z system, it'll likely be all-in with both FX and DX options.  Otherwise, I'd hate to say it, but I'm even open to other options (like S@#◇ or F♡%!)

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS1 (Lumix DMC-FT1)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow