I need a logical explanation.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ovn
ovn Forum Member • Posts: 92
I need a logical explanation.

The video rendering time from over 2 hrs reduces to 45 minutes after changing the power supply unit.

My Dell XPS 8900 from 2015 with Intel i7-6700 and a mediocre Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 and 48 GB RAM handled everything OK until I started working with 4K video. With 30 minutes video footage, it took over 2 hrs to finish rendering.

I was looking to replace the GPU with a decent Nvidia GeForce GTS 3060 8GB, but the problem was that GPU shortage everywhere. I also realized that my PCU was only 460W, so I went ahead to replace with a new 700W PCU for $69 bucks in the meantime.

After this 700W power supply installation, one thing I noticed was that one of my display monitor connected via the intergrated Intel HD Graphics 510 on board just stopped the symptom of went black intermittently even though I kept on changing the refresh rate from 58 to 60 Hz or other values.

That triggers my curiosity to re-try rendering the same 4K video footage to see what happens. To my surprise, it took only 45 minutes using the same Adobe Premier Pro.

That is why I post this observation here to see if any expert or electrical engineering could explain this speed up via power supply unit upgrade. May be I don’t need to spend $500 plus for the new GPU.

OVN.

ovn's gear list:ovn's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ovn
ovn
MOD Austinian
ovn
ovn
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
ovn
ovn
ovn
ovn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow