Average or should be better?

Started 4 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
lem12 Regular Member • Posts: 107
Average or should be better?

The hot one is how much to spend to get what expected by cameras price tag. I did get one of earlier models a5100 from Sony to try and test for nature and landscape photography among the other brands of camera I have. Sony's sensor performance is very high which delivers a wide range of DR. Tested at sunsets and at low lighting conditions in which my other cameras fallen behind in delivering DR and at some rendering colors. I decided to upgrade toward Sony and get into higher end of full frame models - a7r II. I'm not sure if the camera I purchased was off or defective but I expected much more from much higher priced FF camera.
Of cause the FF sensor and high MP are noticeable, but features like color rendering and setting WB by gray card was not well managed. My a5100 never gave an error message when setting WB of gray card, the a7r II is failed to measure giving error messages for about 20 times. Also when picture taken at AWB the blues were dominant in darker tones and also in mid tones but lighter. I tried to customize AWB by moving the dot on to warmer area, when blues and cyan were eliminated from darker areas the cyan in skies became warmer too. The Sonys HDR as I tested is superior in comparison to 2 other cameras I have, enabling HDR and setting custom AWB worked best to eliminate blues from areas in shade and darker. I'm returning the a7r II and will give a test to a6300 or a6500.

Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow