About Canon deciding to discontinue EF lenses...

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ADW02 Regular Member • Posts: 443
About Canon deciding to discontinue EF lenses...

As most of us now know, Canon is committing itself to R lenses, thanks to its decision to go all-in for the development of mirrorless cameras, and on an increasing basis is stopping production of EF lenses. The company has obviously decided that DSLR technology is obsolete, and is moving headlong in a different direction. I think in the long run, as mirrorless technology is better refined, that may be a good thing, but what does that mean for those of us who are heavily invested in EF lenses, and the DSLR cameras that use them?

At least so far as landscape photography is concerned, this might be a bit of a tricky issue. The R5 was not designed to be a landscape camera, but in comparing its landscape images with those of the 5DsR, I actually found the latter to be marginally superior. When I receive my 5DsR from B&H Photo, I have a feeling that so long as ISO does not go beyond 1600, and by implementing auto-bracketing or artificial bracketing, I should be just fine.

But what will happen when Canon releases its FF mirrorless landscape camera, thought to be anywhere from 80 to 100 megapixels? If the rumored price of $4,500 is accurate, how will today's landscape photographers react? I think that most of us who are amateurs won't care that much, since the quality of the 5DsR is really very good, and I have a feeling that I may be included in that group. But for those people who want to step up to a higher-end camera, deciding on full-frame or medium format may not be real easy. FF allows for greater wide-angle and telephoto opportunities, while MF, with its larger sensor, will almost certainly, in my opinion, produce a more detailed image, with greater dynamic range and color rendition.

I'm just guessing here, but I think that well within five years mirrorless cameras will be the only high-end cameras in the marketplace, although many diehards will still be using "old" DSLR technology and EF lenses. Within a decade, virtually nobody will be using DSLR technology anymore. It might be interesting to see how the battle between FF and MF will shape up.

Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow