14-150mm. How much better can you get and at what cost?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamoD New Member • Posts: 21
14-150mm. How much better can you get and at what cost?

Hi all. I'd like to hear your thoughts about this situation. Tell me about your experience.

I'm a happy user of the PEN-F. I use it mostly for shooting whatever looks pretty at that moment. Things like my dogs, flowers, landscapes, occasional portrait, people shooting and street. So a lot of targets. I mostly use the 14-150mm f/4-5.6 and find this lens to be outstanding. I also LOVE using the Rokinon 12mm f/2 and find the manual focus lens to be very easy and super fast. When zone focusing, its faster than the fastest AF system on the planet because I'm focused before the camera comes up to my eye! Not always possible, but when it is, hard to beat that.

Anyway, back to the 14-150mm. Other than getting an extra couple stops out of the 12-40mm f/2.8, is there an appreciable improvement in IQ over the 14-150mm in real life usage? Without pixel-peeping, will it be all that noticeable? How about with the 12-100mm f/4. In this case the advantage of the constant f/4 is less of an advantage as compared to the 14-150mm f/4-5.6, but what about IQ over the 14-150mm? Is the 12-100mm going to blow me out of the water? Considering the 14-150mm is absolutely outstanding, is it worth the BIG price jump?

Maybe I just have a perfect copy of the 14-150mm, but this thing is really hard to beat. I also shoot with a Nikon D810 and some pro glass and while the Nikon is sharper overall, in real life usage, the PEN-F w/ 14-150mm is 100% effective. Don't get me wrong, I love to pixel-peep. I get into Lightroom and evaluate stuff at 400% just like you guys do, but at the end of the day, how much more significant a bump in image quality is the Pro lineup over the 14-150mm.

Thanks all!!

Adam

Nikon D810 Olympus PEN-F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow