Z6ii or Z7ii for my needs?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
aniltulsi
aniltulsi Regular Member • Posts: 374
Z6ii or Z7ii for my needs?

I am bit confused between Z6ii and Z7ii. Cost is not the consideration. I have Z6, and I like to photograph all sorts of things, like Birds, animals, people portraits, wedding (family), vacations, streets, landscapes, macro, astro.. basically everything. I am a hobbyist, not a professional. I moved from D800 to Z6, and I am happy with its performance, though I miss the higher resolution of D800, as it did feel sharper, though I like the noise performance and colours of Z6.

But I am not happy with the AF performance of Z6, so was planning to upgrade. Now a days, I am more into Birding, and get into low light situation quite often. Then the AF of Z6 starts hunting for some time, enough for me to miss the shot. Also, Sucess rate of BIF for small fast birds is quite low.

Now, the Z6ii has better low light performance, and has faster AF, so hopefully, the success rate of BIF should go up, though I don't expect it reaching D850/D500 levels.
On the other hand, Z7ii has high pixel count, giving excellent details, with good margin to crop for small birds. I love the crisp sharp feel of Z7ii. The AF speed is same as Z6ii, but the low light AF is slower than even Z6. The high-ISO noise performance is also worse than Z6/Z6ii.

This purchase may be my last purchase for many years, so I need to take the right decision for my needs.

In favour of Z6ii, as compared to my existing Z6 is:
- faster AF
- better low light AF

In favour of Z7ii, as compared to my existing Z6 is:
- Better sharper details
- Cropping option without loosing much details
- larger print options
Negative of Z7ii is larger storage requirements.

I am not listing common features, and those not important to me (fps etc.).

For me, it comes down to low light AF vs detailed sharper pictures. My thought is that I normally share pictures on mobile, and rarely print large images. Also, I don't like to crop, as it reduces the quality. So Z7ii may not be the right choice for me. I might use the low light AF feature of Z6ii much more, so it may be a better choice for my need. Lower storage requirement is added benefit.

Am I missing anything? Will I regret not buying Z7ii, after couple of years, as I may not upgrade for next 4-5 years? (Don't suggest me to wait for Z8, as I need to buy a camera for my daughter now. So I either buy her Z50 and keep the Z6, or give her my Z6 and get a Zii.)

Nikon D800 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
csn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow