E-M1 III or E-M5 III for travel

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
richarddd
richarddd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,338
E-M1 III or E-M5 III for travel

I'm considering what to get to replace my E-M5 (original), 12-40/2.8 and Panasonic 7-14 as a travel kit.

I'd like a camera with better stabilization, sensor and VF, a main lens with more reach than 12-40 and an ultrawide with better flare resistance. Light weight is very important.

I tend to shoot in manual with auto ISO. Almost everything I shoot is stationary, so tracking AF is not important. One of the more challenging things I shoot IS dim interiors (such as cathedrals) which don't allow tripods or the like, where the subject is usually deep DOF with wide to ultrawide or far details that don't need DOF. The other is close-ups of flowers, where close focusing and bokeh are important.

I'm considering the E-M1 III and the E-M5 III. The E-M1 seems to have better stabilization, a  better sensor and a better VF. It is however, heavier by about 170g than the E-M5, which is a lot.

For lenses I'd get the 12-100/4, which obviously has more reach than the 12-40 (although it's much heavier), and Panasonic 8-18, which should be better for flare than the 7-14 and is a better focal length range for me. If I don't need the reach, the 8-18 could function as a primary lens (I could throw in my 45/1.8 in a pinch).

As I understand, both bodies pair well with the 12-100 for stabilization and neither has any issues with the 8-18.

As a random example of what I tend to shoot, here's a page I found this morning (shot with Nikon gear of comparable focal lengths). NIGEL'S RAMBLES: September 2020 (nigelvoak.blogspot.com)

Cost is not a major concern.

Your thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow