Sigma Quattro in 2021 ?

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
rf-design
rf-design Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: Sigma Quattro in 2021 ?

At the time where Sony show there A7R and A7R2 the Quattro is a good option on the resolution side. But only if you pair it with a good lens. I found that the 1.8/18-35mm and the 1.8/50-100mm is the best match for the Quattros I own.

So to me it makes more sense to look for the lenses first. Alternative the Art 1.4/30mm is checkout lens for the system. The sensor is very demanding for the resolution of the lens and this is also the reason why using FF lenses give a bulky and less optimal resolution. My guess is that the above very special APS-C zoom twins are made for the Merrils and Quattros.

The situation now is that no one buy new SA lenses anymore. To get good SA lenses in a package with the Quattro second hand is the most attainable way. If you have already a set of lenses there is the comfortable situation to attach to L- and E-mounts.

You get now a new A7R2 for about the same price as the Quattro H. To me the color qualities of the Merrills are better than the Quattros. I personal use the Merrills for nature and the Quattro for artificial shooting.

Either testing the Quattro with a cheap or bundled A 1.4/30mm and then get rid of if you do not like the Sigma squirks. If you look for a SA system it will get more difficult. I have seens 3-5x more Quattros used than the magic APS-C zoom twins.

rf-design's gear list:rf-design's gear list
Sigma DP1 Panasonic LX100 Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 +68 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow