FV Mode the answer to the 7D2 manual mode.

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,758
FV Mode the answer to the 7D2 manual mode.

I’ve been playing with the FV mode and I can’t wait to try it out at an air show.

I usually used Manual on my 7D2, as that way I could keep the shutter speed at 1/250 or lower and select f8 which seemed a good value for the EF 100-400 II. Have Auto ISO  adjust the exposure as I panned around the sky chasing planes, and I could dial in EC as and when needed.

This was so I could get decent prop blur.

The R5 and R6 lacking a separate exposure meter like the 7D2 had, use the EC scale as the exposure meter. Which sadly makes dialling in EC a bit awkward. As rather than seeing an actual EC value, the exposure is offset by the amount of EC you’ve applied. All very confusing and awkward for a bear of little brain 🤓

Enter FV mode! I can set the speed ✔️, I can likewise set the aperture ✔️, I can have Auto ISO ✔️  and the EC scale remains as an EC scale and doesn’t become an exposure meter!

I was a little concerned when I first played with Manual mode, as the EC scale seemed to take on a life of its own! 😜

On really bright days I also ran into the problem of too much light! ISO 100, f8 and 1/250 not being quite quick enough. So I kept a Circ Polarising filter at hand to knock a stop of light off or two. Although I now have a variable ND filter.

Only problem first air show isn’t till July at Duxford.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow